Sunday, January 21, 2007

...and it happened on MLK Day of all days.


When comedian Paul Mooney used to use the n-word, he did a bit called "Nigger wake up call." It's an incident that reminds black folks that no matter how much status they've achieved, that they're really still just niggers.

Well, I had one of those on MLK day. Just minutes after listening to an account of a wealthy black woman get mistaken for house help in her own home that was on NPR as part of their King day coverage, I wandered into the Target store in St. Louis Park.

I'm standing in line with a few items. I notice that the white cashier is finishing pleasantries with the white woman in front of me. As I step up, the cashier suddenly clams up. She doesn't make eye contact, and the only words she says to me are "you need to give me another 17 cents."

I politely apologize and hand over another dollar.

She ends the transaction by handing me the receipt. I'm looking right at her as I put my receipt in the bag and start to walk away. She doesn't look at me and instead turns to the next customer and says 'hello.'

I stop and turn and obviously stare at her. I must be scaring her now, because she's obviously trying to ignore me.

As I leave the store I'm literally shaking with rage. I hate anger. It makes me queasy. Maybe it's one of the reasons that I don't allow myself to get angry very often. I steel my eyes at the sight of the hoards of white people coming into the Target as I leave. I'm pissed. I'm so tired of white people at this point. But now I'm mad mostly at myself for not saying anything; for not asking for a manager and explaining what just happened.

But I'm not confident that I could do so without coming off as just another angry nigger.

As I drive away my indignation grows. And I actually find myself saying out loud, "don't they know who I am? they pissed off the wrong black man. I'm a fuckin' reporter for motherfuckin' Minnesota Public Radio. Don't they know what I can do to them?

The next day I tell my editor about what happened and he literally recites the same lines. He tells me to write a letter to Target and tell them who I am. He's an older white man who grew up in the South and has learned to hate racism because he's seen it up close.

But he hasn't felt it. And I find myself inclined to not fire off a letter to Target.

When it all comes down to it, I am just another black person. And my story is no different from so many I've heard from middle class, well to do Af Ams who also suffer these indignities and then tell me because they expect that a black journalist can do something about it.

1 comment:

Egyptian Rhyno said...

I too am mad at you for not doing anything. Like children you have to ‘discipline’ them (ignorant people) at the time of the offence or it will become a moot point. My remedy is to get in their faces, be extra pleasant, and then sock it to them with a lengthy letter to upper management demanding an apology – in writing.
The best part of the entire incident is that you have a job that pays more than minimum wage. You are an educated man, and you have a life outside of Target – which includes a wife who doesn’t wear frosted lip gloss and power blue eye liner (I really hope Mecca doesn’t wear frosted lip gloss
I went to a Cuban restaurant in LA a few months ago. I found out that some Cubans are extremely predigest against their own people who are blessed with more melanin than others. What happened ~ I ordered some food to go and the waitress wouldn’t look me in the eye. I was super pleasant. When the melanin-free patrons received their food said waitress brought it out from the kitchen to where they were standing/sitting. When our food was ready she yelled from behind the counter, “vegetariano… vegitariano!” I simply walked over to the counter and retrieved our food.
I can’t wait to go back just to mess with her (I am smiling insidiously right now).