Thursday, September 20, 2007

A broad sweeping generalization about women that is based purely on anecdotal experience


If I’m in a hurry to get through a line at a grocery store or one of my favorite downtown lunch spots I make an effort not to stand in a line that contains more women than men.

It is a decision based less on gender and more on the fact that a certain part of the population carry purses that contain separate pockets for change, bills and cards. For example, the woman in front of me at Taco John’s orders a Number 5 burrito combo (with the free Churros) which comes to $5.78.

First, she reaches into the bill compartment and pulls out five singles and THEN opens the little change compartment to collect the 78 cents.

Then of course, after the transaction is done, instead of stepping aside and letting me order my taco salad with chicken, she has to reassemble the purse through a series of snaps and zips. Apparently most purses come with extra-secret compartments in which to hide change or cyanide tablets – just in case the owner of the purse is captured by the Nazis.

Indeed, some guys carry a wallet which does require an extra step. (Personally, I don’t carry a wallet. Wallets encourage pickpockets. Plus, they create an unsightly bulge on my otherwise shapely butt.) But I’ve never seen a dude subsequently pull out a change purse after laying down a couple bills.

I ask you, what is wrong with getting some spare change? Give it to panhandlers or take it home and put it in a jar. If you have free laundry, set it aside and take it to the bank after a few months. I used to get anywhere from $65 to $100 each time I took a bag of change to the bank.

2 comments:

H said...

As a woman (who is pretty awkward pretty much 100% of the time) I often find myself having this problem. I hold up lines everywhere, and I'm not even the kind of woman who tries to make exact change. Usually if I get cash back I just dump it all in my purse and sort it out later, but I still take forever getting my stuff together. It's a girl thing...I don't know.

Whiskeymarie said...

I want to disagree, but I can't.
I've totally done this.
How embarrassing for our gender.