Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Zen and Mondays


Here's the scene: It's Monday morning and I'm in the elevator as three more cube jockeys trundle in and watch the door close. The three apparently work on the same floor, so they recognize each other. As the elevator lurches upward, one of the heavy set office ladies wearing a full length down coat which smells like a recently burned cigarette, turns to the other similarly dressed woman and says, 'Well, is it Friday yet?'

They share a giggle and lament about the beginning of the week. In my short journey to the 6th floor, I listen quietly as the women proceed to blame all the world's ills on Mondays. Apparently their souls have been crushed by the first day of the week.

I'll preface my rant with this: I'm lucky to have a job that on most days doesn't make me sick. It really is a boost to my personal constitution. But, 'Gah,' life doesn't only happen on Saturday and Sunday. Do shit Monday through Thursday. Do happy hours with your friends or co-workers, go bowling on Tuesday nights, get a hobby, learn how to speak Yiddish -- anything.

Pretty soon, your weeks will get shorter.

You know what? I betcha I've written this rant before. I think columnist and local hipster zen guru Jim Walsh sums it up best in the latest issue of the Downtown Journal.

His take is broader than mine. Walsh says Americans, in particular are "born to run and so unsatisfied and constantly striving for more, bigger, better freedoms." It sounds to me like we're pursuing this happiness horizon which never comes -- it's always just out of reach. And that reminds me of the office ladies and millions of others who are 'working for the weekend.' They are the people I stand next to on the elevator everyday.

To be honest, I'm not much different. I try to 'be in the moment' and appreciate the little things and to be comfortable in silence and stillness. I think I'm better at it than I used to be. But it's hard. There are still moments of my day that I'm not trying to 'be in' and appreciate. Take flossing. I look forward to being done with flossing my teeth, because then I know I can go to sleep and feel a bit better about myself for having struck a blow against placque.

I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Office Space...
Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?
Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.