Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I'm not saying these folks are in a cult...

I was walking through the skyway over 7th street this morning and saw a woman walking toward me who looked like she had some kind of smudge of dirt on her forehead. I was like, 'oh, how embarrassing, her pen must have exploded in her purse and then she smacked her head in frustration thus leaving a mark.' Then I noticed she was walking with a dude who was looking at her as he talked to her, and I'm thinking, 'why doesn't he tell her she's got schmutz on her punum?'

As I approached Cousin's Subs I noticed three more people with smudges right in the middle of their foreheads. Then, it hit me. It's Ash Wednesday. Which means the Easter bunny is busy hatching his eggs in preparation for his big day.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the actual meaning of the day:

"Ash Wednesday gets its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of the faithful as a sign of repentance. The ashes used are gathered after the Palm Crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned."

So they make crosses out of palms and then burn them - burn crosses - and then rub the ashes on their heads in the sign of the torture instrument used to kill people back in the day.

I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People take a good fictional read just way too far.
Stephen King's IT was pretty good book but I don't really think that it happened.

BadWims said...

Dude Joe Biden had a smudge on his head. He was at a press conference with dirt on his head.

Failcooks said...

Dirt on his head. Funny.