Monday, July 13, 2009

I've never been there before



I've decided to keep the lunch week theme going, but this time I'll use a geographic, rather than food-type basis. It's easy to get stuck in a rut or routine when foraging for sustenance in this vast mountain-range of skyscrapers. So I got it in my head that I should focus on places where I've never eaten before.

First stop: Sushi Dynasty

For the first day of the new theme, I stopped at the first place I've never been to. I walked past Taco Bell, Cousins subs, Royal Orchid, a Subway (a chain which I've likened to violent ass-rape in a past post), Taco John's, Zen Box, Potbelly, and Allie's Deli before I saw this hole-in-the-wall instant sushi place.

I got a couple combos, checking closely to make sure they actually contained at least some raw fish. You have to be careful that someone isn't sneaking smoked salmon into their rolls and making them look like tuna. I'm sorry but getting smoked salmon in a roll when you expect tuna is like a kick in the taint. After the pain goes away, you're just angry.

Luckily there was raw tuna in these rolls, but unlike my favorite skyway sushi joint Tensuke (now Sushi-Do), they mince the fish. Which I think is a blatant attempt to hide poorer quality tuna. No, I don't think they're trying to poison people (most sushi tuna is frozen before it gets here anyway, killing the potential nasty bits), but part of the appeal of sushi is the presentation. And minced fish in a spicy tuna roll, doesn't look good.

I also had some eel rolls and california rolls (they help fill me up). Both left me going, "meh."

No comments: