Saturday, July 04, 2009

You're lucky to be an American, act like it




Yesterday, I was lounging poolside with my friends Kim and Eric out at their Bloomington estate. As I sipped my 'beer-garita' and dipped my toes in the cool water, I reflected on my good fortune. A lot of acts of man and nature, good and evil and just plain friggin' chance got me to where I am today.

As an African American, obviously, some of my ancestors were brought here against their will. The Atlantic slave trade was one of the greatest evils committed by humans. But I have to look at the odds. My people could have easily been among the scores of millions of Africans who lost their lives.

Had my people stayed in west Africa, they could have perished in civil wars or died from a very curable disease - and I would have never made it here. Lets be real. America has not been the most hospitable place for African Americans. But considering the state of most African countries right now, I'd much rather live here than in the Motherland.

Face it if you're a natural citizen, you're here because a parent or some other ancestor came here. There are other cool countries out there, for sure. And on those days when I write out a big check to Fairview Hospitals, I yearn to live somewhere with single payer or (i'll say it) socialized medicine. But for a lot of reasons, if you were born here, you're in the top 98th percentile of good places to live. Really. You kinda won the lottery.

Unfortunately, too many of us natural citizens act like we had something to do with this. And we're proud of it.

Personally, I feel more lucky to be an American than I am proud. I really think there's too much pride in America right now. And it's lead to some pretty shitty behaviors, ie: invading Iraq, torturing suspected terrorists, and so forth.

So on this Fourth of July, think of how fortunate you are to be an American. Maybe we'd be doing a little better if more Americans started acting like they've been given a gift, instead of an entitlement.

OK, I'm getting off the soapbox and back on the couch now.

Happy Fourth of July everybody....

2 comments:

Nate in Texas said...

Well said brotha. Feeling very lucky today!

Anonymous said...

I am feeling EXCEPTIONALLY lucky at this point in time!