Saturday, December 23, 2006

I don't care what you call it...


...I still dig this time of year.

I think there's plenty of evidence to show that humans (at least those of us above the equator) have always celebrated at this period on the calendar. Why not have a big festival that features lights and food and gifts around the solstice, the shortest 'day' of the year? And for that matter, why not have another big shindig in the springtime that highlights the joys of rebirth? Like with bunnies, and eggs and Jesuses rising from the dead?

I guess it's just as easy to believe that a bunny can carry around a basket of eggs and hide them from children...

Anywho, bring it all on. I like a party. Why quibble over where it originated?

And I'll say Merry Christmas to you or anyone. I don't care. And you shouldn't either. Not a xtian? No big deal. You can say happy hanukah to me and I won't care. Hell, say Happy Solstice and I'll return your salutation.

This time of year means different things to different people. To some it means the birth of Jebus. To others it's the story behind the oil and the lamps and the lighting of the candles.

Oy vey.

And to people like me, the season is about shiny objects, little gifty gifts, family gatherings with a lot of food and drink, snow, listening to Ella Fitzgerald, Elvis, Nat King Cole and Brenda Lee sing Xmas standards, watching the Grinch; and to me, the ultimate Xmas music, Vince Guaraldi's score for the Peanut's xmas show.

Oh yeah, and it's also cool to get three days off of work.

Sweet...

No comments: