Thursday, November 09, 2006

New Orleans day one: Uncle Lionel makes a cameo



We got into New Orleans with out much trouble at all -- the airlines didn't lose our luggage and didn't have problem getting to the hotel. The St. Charles Guesthouse is absolutely charming. And by charming I mean it's falling apart.

After a nap and some freshening up, we hit the French Quarter for some eats, drinks and sounds. Mission accomplished. My wife the food writer and cook has us on a schedule of places to go, so I just eat where she tells me to. I can do that. I dined on crawfish etouffe, gumbo and crawfish cakes.

Drinks are portable, which makes drinking very convenient.

We saw some great little jazz and blues combos. I can't remember the names of the bands or the clubs they played in, but they were all freakin' brilliant. My favorite was a little band at the Spotted Cat (remembered that one). They were a group of young white hipsters playing gypsy jazz a la Django Reinhardt.

But perhaps the highlight of the evening was Uncle Lionel. He showed up to sing a tune with a little blues band down the street from the Cat. Uncle L looked he was in his 80s at least and dressed like a pimp on his way to church. It looked like he was less interested in singing than he was flirting with the ladies.

I want to be like Uncle L. if I make it to 80 something...

No comments: