Friday, November 24, 2006

Thankful for the day after Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love the fact that its sole purpose is to give people the excuse to gather with friends and family and consume large amounts of food and drink. I also love that the emphasis is placed on slow food - meals that take several hours to prepare and often require the participation of guests.

But perhaps what I love most about Thanksgiving is the day after. I don't have to work. I have plenty of food leftover from last night (we had a brilliant shindig with a small group of good friends and family), and aside from a sinkful of dirty dishes, there's nothing that I absolutely have to do. Although I will have to go to liquor store - we had seven or eight full bottles of wine last night, along with an 18 pack of beer + some home brew brought by my buddy Eric -- this morning the death toll stands at seven or eight empty bottles of wine and an empty growler of home brew. There are maybe two cans of beer left in the fridge.

I plan on lounging, lounging, lounging and then I'll take a nap. There's plenty of "Austin Powers" movies on TBS and I'm a happy camper.

No comments: