Monday, November 13, 2006

N.O. Day Five: Missing New Orleans already




(Mecca, looking forlorn on the steps of the St Charles Guesthouse while waiting for the airport shuttle)

It's really hard to enjoy yourself on the last day of travelling. Although I like being home, I often find myself pretty down when it's time to leave. We had several hours to hang out before we had to catch the shuttle to the airport and so we had one last trip to the Quarter for food. We stopped at Napoleon House for one last taste of the city. I had a bowl of seafood gumbo and Mecca had jambalaya. Both were spectacular, but not a cure for the last-day-in-New-Orleans-blues.

The whole time Mecca and I said very few words to each other. She may have just been tired of hanging around me for the last several days. But I suspect she was just feeling the same melancholy I was.

I will miss the food, the music, the nightlife and all that. But I really miss how each day and night offered opportunities for all new adventures.

New Orleans is still obviously on the mend. And so many of the residents we talked to thanked us for coming. How many times do you hear that when you travel? It almost brought tears to our eyes. The folks at the Guesthouse told us they are already getting close to all booked up for New Years Eve and Mardi Gras. So make your reservations now.

No comments: